Tuesday 26 October 2010

A little lost

Just got back from my 25 week antenatal check. All was well so should be feeling happy but I'm not!

I seem to get this feeling after every appointment; slightly unsure, lost and clueless... I think subconsciously I think that the MW or the Dr will impart some valuable piece of knowledge that isn't to be found in any book, blog or forum that I've read or that I'll feel some sort of kinship with them - both of these things is highly unlikely and it is silly of me to pile on so much expectation when:

a) I am an information addict - if its out there I have probably already read it! Not that I am a know it all otherwise I wouldn't be feeling lost.

b) Both midwives and doctors are very busy people and see many pregnant women, I am just one more to see - for me this is my first time so everything is new, for them it is all routine and I should be happy that they are not in any way concerned about my pregnancy.

c) I have seen a different person for each check, how can I expect to develop a rapport in a 15min slot?!?

Anyway, my next is in 3 weeks and this time Grant is coming too, at least I will have some moral support and may feel more reassured as I think we will be discussing antenatal classes and the hospital tour.

For now I shall focus on the fact that the baby and I are fine and we are almost into the 3rd trimester so in the grand scheme of things, not long now till feb!

2 comments:

  1. My hubby came with me to pretty much all of my appointments. I realise I was very lucky with this.
    And I agree with how you feel. It does feel like a bit of a conveyor belt of pregnant women. I am rather an information addict too. I read loads of books and bought loads of the pregnancy magazines. I think to me it felt like I was the only pregnant woman ever!!
    I hope your antenatal classes and hospital tour go well. It defintely makes everything seem more real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Photo Puddle, glad it's not just me!

    I think it gets forgotten how much of a big thing being pregnant is - obviously women have been having babies forever but it's still an amazing process and each new mother is experiencing something that is totally alien to them, however natural or routine it is for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete