Friday 8 October 2010

Trip to hospital

I had a busy day on Wednesday; an old friend came down to London and we had a day walking about the shops. Half way through the afternoon I started to feel a tensing in my bump, a feeling that I hadn't had before, but I put to the back of my mind, not wanting to ruin the afternoon with any fuss.

By yesterday I was feeling pretty drained and after speaking to my Mum about the tensing, I realised I'd probably been feeling the beginnings of Braxton Hicks contractions. Both Mum and I thought it was possibly a bit early for these and although probably nothing to worry about, she said to call the midwife if it kept happening.

I got some more last night and again this morning so called the midewife team and was told to call the labour ward. They advised me it was probably nothing to worry about but could I come in and have a check up... this, of course, sent me in to panic overdrive!

2 hours and several checks from the hospital midwife and the doctor later, I am relieved to say that they sent me home. Panic over! It wasn't anything to worry about and the baby and I are ok, phew!

On a different note, it was great to see the labour ward as it really put my mind at ease about the birth. I had always been really unsure about hospital births. I am generally nervous in strange places and am a bit of a control freak. From quite early into my pregnancy I looked into a home birth and although I haven't spoken to my midwife about it yet, it was something that I was really keen on - mostly because I was really anti going to hospital!
Having seen the labour ward, I am reassured that it is not such a scary place, everyone was very friendly and helpful and the beds were in small wards of 4 or 6 - not quite the image I had of huge wards filled with screaming newborns and tired mothers.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, sorry you had a scare like that. Must have been baby trying to tell you he wanted to be born in hospital though! Glad it put your mind at rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, just realised I referred to baby as he in that comment. I forgot you found out you were having a girl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have just found your blog and think it is a lovely idea what you are doing, as a mum of two litle ones, Fin and Gabs, children are the most wonderful thing in your life and it is lovely to write about them, I will look forward to reading your blog.

    Andrea at Fin and Gabs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad everything's okay. Pregnancy can be scary...

    As for the wards, in Belgium the maximum seems to be two to a room. We'd be horrified to have to share with three other mums and three other babies. I was always in a single room... Just goes to show how different these things are in different countries, and how expectations are everything.

    ReplyDelete